Financial Investigations and Valuations
At Morris Forensic, we’ve been involved in a considerable number of projects involving financial investigations and valuations.
Financial investigations have been undertaken mainly for the purposes of litigation and the provision of expert evidence. These have entailed analyses of specific transactions connected with allegations of breach of fiduciary and other duties, fraudulent activities, corporate failure and solvency.
Valuations have been undertaken for the purposes of acquisition and divestment transactions as well as for forensic purposes connected with commercial litigation and property settlements.
Forensic Accounting and Expert Evidence
Brian has over 20 years’ experience in providing forensic accounting services. He has provided expert accounting evidence in:
- The Federal Court of Australia
- The Family Court of Australia
- The Supreme Courts of South Australia, New South Wales, Queensland and Victoria
- The District Courts of South Australia and Western Australia.
Brian has considerable experience in critiquing opposing experts’ reports, coordinating expert conclaves and the publication of joint expert reports and the provision of evidence including concurrent evidence in a ‘hot tub’ setting.
We’ve been retained in connection with a considerable number of matters involving litigation. This has ranged from the investigation of financial records and transactions, valuation of businesses and business entities, assessments of loss and damage, audit and accounting negligence and fraud.
Matters in which we have been retained include:
- The Duke Group Ltd (In Liquidation) v Arthur Young and Peat Marwick Hungerfords
- Beach Petroleum NL & Ors v Fuller & Ors
- Southern Equities Corporation Limited (In Liquidation) (Formerly Bond Corporation Holdings Ltd) v Arthur Andersen
- Prosecutions of Mr A Bond (in connection with Bond Corporation Ltd), Messrs MJ Fuller and JP Cummings (in connection with Spargos Mining NL), and Messrs P Reid, A Kovess & H Abbott (in connection with The Duke Group Ltd)
- The investigation of the audits of the State Bank of South Australia and its subsidiary Beneficial Finance Corporation Ltd and the action by the State of South Australia against the Bank’s managing director, Mr Marcus Clark
- Harris Scarfe Ltd (Receivers & Managers Appointed) v Ernst & Young and PricewaterhouseCoopers
- HIH Insurance Ltd v Adler & Ors
- Sons of Gwalia Ltd (Subject to DOCA) v Ernst & Young and Ors
- Ann Street Mezzanine Pty Ltd & Ors v KPMG (re Westpoint)
- Richard Kirby v Centro Properties Ltd & Anor and Richard Kirby v Centro Retail Ltd & Anor
- Several audit actions arising out of failures of New Zealand finance companies
- South Australian Water Corporation and United Water International Pty Ltd
- Octaviar Administration Pty Ltd (In Liquidation) v KPMG.